Sunday, October 21, 2012

Capture the Memories

There are few things more precious than our memories!  When we think about sharing a funny story or a silly saying, who is the first person you turn to:  someone in your family - or your best friend - or the first person you see?  Sometimes the memory is too painful to share and other times it's so insanely crazy that only your best friend will understand...  but how do you capture those memories and pass them on? 

My family is my inspiration.  I am very blessed to have a loving husband and three beautiful children.  All three of my little ones (ages 6, 4, and 4) often give me funny stories to share and I love to capture their personalities in photographs and then tell the complete story in a scrapbook page or altered artwork.  This is a special time in our lives and I cherish each moment. 

No matter what your preferred method of memory saving and sharing happens to be - make certain to capture all that you can.  Instagram, Pinterest, Facebook and Twitter are great quick ways to click and share memories with your friends and family.  In addition, special photos and interesting mini-books make great gifts!   

For some people a simple click of the camera captures that moment. For others, they may write a book (or a blog) and add photos to help tell the story. And then the crafty ones, well, they may create something for a scrapbook or a sweet card or a DIY project. There are so many different ways to tell the story and I look forward to sharing some of my favorites with you!


Top Priority:  Adventure

 
This 12x12 double page was created for a local kit club with HK Memory Chest in Hong Kong, using Heidi Swapp 'No Limits' papers and embellishments.  I learned some wonderful techniques from an online class I took with Heidi in the spring/summer from Big Picture Classes and LOVE the back-to-back minibook idea - I was able to get 19 photos on this one double layout!  Take a look at how I created this.
 
One of the first things I wanted to do was use one of the color magic banners by Heidi Swapp.  I didn't have an orange spray that matched the papers, so I used one of my sponges and ink to create a gorgeous banner - check out how the resist shines thru - brilliant!!!  I set this aside to dry...
 
 
Then I created my minibooks...  2 books - the top one holds five (5) 3R photos and the bottom book holds five (5) 4R photos.
 
 
 
One book is 3 pieces of 'No Limits Traditional' paper cut to 4.5 x 6".  Score each piece in the center and then run your tape runner (or glue) on the back of one folded sheet and attach it the front of the second folded 4.5 x 6" piece.  Repeat this once more to add the third folded piece - tada, a gorgeous minibook to add to your layout!  The top book was created the same way, but on a smaller 5.25 x 4" scale.  Add your photos in and your are on your way :)  Finally, attach each booklet to your page (I added a ribbon behind it - it added a nice closure).
 
Next, let's create the title.  I love the Heidi Swapp Buzz Words - and wanted to use the 'Adventure' word as my part of my title.  One of our kit add-ons was 7Gypsies postcards and 7Gypsies roll of tape that I loved - so I wanted to include them in the layout.  I used my circle cutter to round the postcard into a circle.  Also - to keep the pop of orange color, I cut one size larger circle from the 'No Limits Smarty' paper.  Then I used my 6-year-olds curvy scissors (sshh!  don't tell her) to cut around and create a fun wavy edge.  Once I overlaid them - I decided that it would be a great "hidden journaling" spot, so I used the washi tape to attach the top postcard to the orange circle and allowing a flip - TOO FUN!  Here's how it looks:

 
The title reads:  Top Priority Adventure - To Travel Is To Live with Kaisercraft Check-In rub-ons. 
 
Now I can start attaching my photos and other embellishments.  I added in the orange banner to help the eye move through my layout.  Also added the 'discover' pennant from the Heidi Swapp Wood Stick pennants - destination.  Added in some handcut banners on the right-hand side.  It still seemed to be lacking something... 
 
I saw this cool technique for flowers in one of my scrapbook magazines, to fold a paper in half length-wise and then cut the fold in small sections almost all the way through.  Once you've cut your paper, roll your paper into a roll - if they are large sections you might need to secure it with some glue dots along the way.  You can hot glue or use a glue dot to secure it to your layout.  Different widths and lengths of paper make different size 'flowers' - they turned out REALLY cool and just the right thing to finish off a fun layout. 
 
Enjoy creating your own - I'd love to hear about it!
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment